Welcome to Dynamic Surroundings!
Dynamic Surroundings alters the player’s visual and audible experience in Minecraft, and does not alter game mechanics. The player has a high degree of control over their experience, and modpack authors can customize biome and block effects based on their need.
Discussion thread can be found on the Feed the Beast forums.
NOTE: The JARs I build are published only to CurseForge. I cannot vouch for the JARs found on other sites because I do not know their origin.
- Better Rain mod by Wirsbo
- Aurora Rubealis by MrRube
- Presence Footsteps by Hurricaaane
- Complete list of attributions for sounds and textures can be found in the README
- Stellar Sky
- Biomes O’Plenty
- ExtrabiomesXL (1.7.10 only)
- Sound Filters
- TrueType Font Replacement
- Fancy Block Particles
- Clouds Pack (requires OptiFine)
- Better Foliage
Interview with Amaxter!
DireWolf20 ForgeCraft S1 E3 has a pretty good depiction of Dynamic Surroundings:
When precipitation occurs Dynamic Surroundings will generate a random storm intensity. This intensity will affect a variety of different things:
- The “density” of the downfall
- Volume of sound
- Background thunder
- Desert/Nether dust storms
Auroras trigger at night when a player is standing in a “polar” biome such as Taiga or Ice Field. The size, shape, and coloration can change per Aurora spawned.
Biomes can have specific sounds that play while standing in them. The sound played can be different night or day, rain or shine. Forests have birds chirping, beaches have waves, swamps have crickets…
Blocks can have a variety of effects, sound as well as visual. Examples:
- Lava can form lava jets on the surface which spout fire or sparks.
- Bubbles can rise from the bottom of lakes, oceans, and ponds.
- Soul Sand can trigger demonic laughter.
- Wooden planks can squeak when walked upon.
- Dust motes can fall from various blocks.
- Steam will rise from water because of nearby lava.
- Fireflies will spawn at night around various plants in temperate biomes.
- Waterfall splash effects/sounds for flowing water.
Presence Footsteps is integrated directly within Dynamic Surroundings. This feature generates different footstep sounds as the player walks and jumps. The sounds played are based upon the material that the player is standing on or moving through as well as the armor they are wearing.
Various effects, both sound and visual, can be triggered or suppressed:
- Damage/Heal pop offs. Whenever a mob gets hurt or is healed a pop-off particle will fly off around the mob indicating the amount of change.
- Weapon/tool swoosh. A sound gets played when swinging around a weapon or tool.
- Jump. A “huh” sound will play when jumping.
- Bow pull. A sound gets played when a player pulls back on a bow.
- Crafting sound. Plays when an item is crafted by the player.
- Heartbeat. When a players health drops to 40% or less Steve’s heart begins to beat loudly.
- Hunger. When a players food bar drops to 40% or less the stomach beings to rumble.
- Potion particle swirls. Can be turned off so they don’t interfere with the players field of view.
- Potion HUD. Replaces the Minecraft potion HUD with one that gives names and the effects remaining time.
Dynamic Surroundings also adds in other miscellaneous features to assist the player:
- Ability to block any sound from the modpack from playing
- Ability to customize the sound volume of any sound in the modpack when played
- Configuration/resource pack system modpack authors can use to add/change biome, block, item, and dimension effects
- Light level HUD that indicates currrent block light levels
- Compass HUD when a Minecraft compass is held to indicate location and bearing
- Client side command for doing calculations
- Speech bubbles that appear over a player's head when they type in chat (needs to be enabled)
- Random entity chat for entertainment (needs to be enabled)
- Entity emoji's that swirl around a mobs head to give an indication as to what they are thinking (needs to be enabled)
Screenshots can be found in the Image tab!
Dynamic Surroundings is licensed MIT. This means that you are free to include in modpacks and there are no requirements about giving credit or linking pack to any page. However, if you feel compelled to give credit I won't mind. :)
- Array out of bounds exception processing waterfall column
- Russian (ru_RU) translations for Presets!/Dynamic Surroundings (thanks Xottab-DUTY!)
- Deserts have a wind style background sound
- Support for Simple Corn
- Savanna has daytime and nighttime biome sounds
- Raptor (bald eagle/red tailed hawk) spot sounds
- Config file options to turn off certain features
- Used by modpack authors to control player experience
- Applies to Light Level, Compass/Clock, and Chunk Fencing HUDs
- When turned off feature will not be available in game
- Config options for said features will also be suppressed from the config GUI
- Keybindings for features are disabled
- Configuration options for specifying startup sound list
- To prevent sound from playing remove all entries from config list
- No more "hanging chad" footprints when walking off the edge of a block onto tall grass plant
- Tooltip no longer blocks the volume slider control in the Individual Sound Config GUI
- Added missing Tinker's Shovel and Scythe sounds
- Sacred Springs biome from BoP have forest like sounds rather than jungle
- AbyssalCraft Darklands biome should not have dust
- Changed village anvil to be lower pitch and not as frequent
- Square and hoof footprint textures are darker and alpha processing changed to make the prints less stark
- Limit village sounds to Overworld
- Support new Chisel API (facades)
- Improved waterfall sounds; multiple different sounds based on the strength of the fall