Welcome to Dynamic Surroundings!
Dynamic Surroundings alters the player’s visual and audible experience in Minecraft, and does not alter game mechanics. The player has a high degree of control over their experience, and modpack authors can customize biome and block effects based on their need.
Discussion thread can be found on the Feed the Beast forums.
NOTE: The JARs I build are published only to CurseForge. I cannot vouch for the JARs found on other sites because I do not know their origin.
- Better Rain mod by Wirsbo
- Aurora Rubealis by MrRube
- Presence Footsteps by Hurricaaane
- Complete list of attributions for sounds and textures can be found in the README
- Stellar Sky
- Biomes O’Plenty
- ExtrabiomesXL (1.7.10 only)
- Sound Filters
- TrueType Font Replacement
- Fancy Block Particles
- Clouds Pack (requires OptiFine)
- Better Foliage
Installing the mod is pretty easy! Just drop the JAR into the "mods" folder in your Minecraft Forge instance and startup your client.
The mod is not needed on the server so you can drop into an existing modpack and play on public servers without problem. However, if you add the mod to your pack and it is not installed on the server some features will not be available:
- You will not see footprints for other players
- There will not be variable rain intensity
- No village sounds
- No damage pop-offs
- No emojis/entity chat (if enabled)
- No player speech bubbles (if enabled)
Interview with Amaxter!
DireWolf20 ForgeCraft S1 E3 has a pretty good depiction of Dynamic Surroundings:
When precipitation occurs Dynamic Surroundings will generate a random storm intensity. This intensity will affect a variety of different things:
- The “density” of the downfall
- Volume of sound
- Background thunder
- Desert/Nether dust storms
Auroras trigger at night when a player is standing in a “polar” biome such as Taiga or Ice Field. The size, shape, and coloration can change per Aurora spawned.
Biomes can have specific sounds that play while standing in them. The sound played can be different night or day, rain or shine. Forests have birds chirping, beaches have waves, swamps have crickets…
Blocks can have a variety of effects, sound as well as visual. Examples:
- Lava can form lava jets on the surface which spout fire or sparks.
- Bubbles can rise from the bottom of lakes, oceans, and ponds.
- Soul Sand can trigger demonic laughter.
- Wooden planks can squeak when walked upon.
- Dust motes can fall from various blocks.
- Steam will rise from water because of nearby lava.
- Fireflies will spawn at night around various plants in temperate biomes.
- Waterfall splash effects/sounds for flowing water.
Presence Footsteps is integrated directly within Dynamic Surroundings. This feature generates different footstep sounds as the player walks and jumps. The sounds played are based upon the material that the player is standing on or moving through as well as the armor they are wearing.
Various effects, both sound and visual, can be triggered or suppressed:
- Damage/Heal pop offs. Whenever a mob gets hurt or is healed a pop-off particle will fly off around the mob indicating the amount of change.
- Weapon/tool swoosh. A sound gets played when swinging around a weapon or tool.
- Jump. A “huh” sound will play when jumping.
- Bow pull. A sound gets played when a player pulls back on a bow.
- Crafting sound. Plays when an item is crafted by the player.
- Heartbeat. When a players health drops to 40% or less Steve’s heart begins to beat loudly.
- Hunger. When a players food bar drops to 40% or less the stomach beings to rumble.
- Potion particle swirls. Can be turned off so they don’t interfere with the players field of view.
- Potion HUD. Replaces the Minecraft potion HUD with one that gives names and the effects remaining time.
Dynamic Surroundings also adds in other miscellaneous features to assist the player:
- Ability to block any sound from the modpack from playing
- Ability to customize the sound volume of any sound in the modpack when played
- Configuration/resource pack system modpack authors can use to add/change biome, block, item, and dimension effects
- Light level HUD that indicates currrent block light levels
- Compass HUD when a Minecraft compass is held to indicate location and bearing
- Client side command for doing calculations
- Speech bubbles that appear over a player's head when they type in chat (needs to be enabled)
- Random entity chat for entertainment (needs to be enabled)
- Entity emoji's that swirl around a mobs head to give an indication as to what they are thinking (needs to be enabled)
Screenshots can be found in the Image tab!
Dynamic Surroundings is licensed MIT. This means that you are free to include in modpacks and there are no requirements about giving credit or linking pack to any page. However, if you feel compelled to give credit I won't mind. :)
- [WIP] Support for Albedo client side graphics library:
- Fireflies have a glow effect
- Holding a light source will provide light around player entity. Color and radius of the light effect is dependent on the item held. Experiment with torches, redstone torches, glowstone blocks, sea lanterns, and nether stars.
- Firefly and player light source can be turned on/off using configuration.
- Dynamic Surroundings will detect presence of Albedo and activate necessary support logic.
- Not compatible with OptiFine since shaders are used.
- General config option for turning off Dynamic Surroundings chat messages when toggling things like light level HUD, chunk border display, etc.
- Footstep/item swap sounds playing L/R of the player when moving, such as strafing. Noticeable when using headphones.
- Keybindings will now show up with latest versions of Forge for 1.12.x
- Client NPE/CME when connection rejected because of a mod mismatch on server.
- Open Terrain Generation compatibility updates for 1.12.x
- Built against Forge 126.96.36.1996, a Minecraft 1.12.2 version. Mod should still be compatible with Minecraft 1.12.x.
- Modified biome sound registry to improve OTG compatibility with 1.12.x Minecraft.
- Further restrict desert dust effect to biomes with < 0.1 rainfall - should rain in BoP Steppe now.