Realistic Torches is a lightweight mod designed to add difficulty to the early game. The primary feature of this mod causes torches to burn out after a configurable amount of time, encouraging players to move toward more permanent light sources early on.
- Torches are now unlit when crafting, and must be lit using a matchbox in a crafting grid or flint and steel after being placed. As a result, the matchbox must be acquired before players can do things like explore caves or prevent hostile spawning.
- Torches will burn out after a specified amount of time (60 minutes real time by default, can be changed in the config) and become unlit. This encourages players to seek more permanent light sources early on, such as glowstone or lava.
- Torches will be extinguished when rained on.
- Permanently lit torches can be crafted using a glowstone crystal instead of coal.
- Naturally light-emitting blocks (and some items) will emit light when held, making it easy to explore at night without having to constantly place torches.
- Torch recipes added by other mods will be removed to ensure that the matchbox or flint and steel must be acquired to craft lit torches.
- Torches generated in vanilla structures will be replaced by lit torches.
- Highly configurable in order to provide you precisely the play experience you want.
- Translations for English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Pirate.
- If you intend to use this mod in an existing world, backup your world first!
- Install Forge
- Navigate to your .minecraft folder
- Download the mod and place the jar file in .minecraft/mods
- If you've used a different version of this mod before, delete any existing RealisticTorches.cfg files from .minecraft/config
Unlit Torch (Coal)
Unlit Torch (Charcoal)
Lit Torch (Shapeless, matchbox takes 1 damage per craft)
Glowstone Crystal (Coal)
Glowstone Crystal (Charcoal)
Glowstone Paste (Shapeless)
Vanilla Torch (Glowstone Crystal)
Vanilla Torch (Lit Torch + Glowstone Paste)
Yes, you can use this mod in your modpack. I'd prefer if you provide a link to the mod's CurseForge page, but that's up to you.
- Updated to MC 1.11.2 (Forge #2226)
- Added Glowstone Paste item as an alternative means of creating vanilla torches
- Added "recipes to remove" config field to replace toggleable "remove recipes" field
- Fixed Matchbox localization
- Fixed vanilla torch recipe output resulting in only one torch